Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Baby Registries

Well, my sisters-in-law and my mother-in-law are planning adoption showers for us. Although, it's a combination of adoption shower/welcome home Stefan. We are very excited.

Because we are inviting like, I dunno ... everyone we know, I'm registering Stefan for things he likes as well as things we still need or that we think will make life a little easier. My choices are wedding registry or baby registry.

Now, I'm not one to complain about fairness very often, and Stefan is only 2 so he can still pass as a "baby," but what if he was 4 or 8 or 12? Surely I'm not the only one to have an adoption shower? I think of myself as original, but I can't be that original, that I'm the only on on the face of the planet to have an adoption shower?

This frustrates me, because we adoptive families are so often looked at like we are second class. A lot of the time you get asked about your son or daughters "real family" or the child gets put in a different category than your biological ones. I understand that it's going to happen, I've accepted that I will have to explain my family situation for the rest of my life, but does it have to be a battle everyday? Can't just once, the world around us treat us equally? Wouldn't it be nice to go to the registry section online and see "adoption registry". Do people who adopt older children just not need anything? You're just ready for it no questions asked. If you're giving birth you are totally unprepared, but if your adopting you're just on the ball and have NOT ONLY the money it takes to complete the adoption, but the money for all the stuff you will need?

Ok. I'm done ranting. It's a little annoyance and lets face it, I've got bigger fish to fry. Although, I think I am going to send out some e-mails to some of the places we've registered at and just let them know, it wouldn't hurt for them to consider those of us who build our families through adoption. Who knows what kind of support they would get from the adoption community if they would be the first to offer it?

No comments:

Post a Comment